I am always jealous when I hear about how well other kids eat for their parents. While my 3 year old frequently lets us know that she is hungry, getting her to actually eat a full meal is next to impossible. Even our 5 year old asks us for PB&J sandwich at least 20 times a week, most anything else we provide makes us horrible parents. This is disheartening when you spend up to an hour cooking dinner, only to have it rejected.
Luckily, we have found a few recipes that the kids enjoy as much as us. I am definitely not a gourmet chef, but I can pretend with this quick and easy Taco Pie recipe that the whole family will enjoy.
- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- 1 package of Taco Seasoning
- 1 package Pillsbury Crescent Rolls (dough sheets are easiest)
- 1 8 oz. container of Sour Cream
- 1 16 oz. package of Shredded Cheese
- Tortilla Chips
- Taco Sauce (and other preferred taco toppings)
- Grease a 10 inch pie pan and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Unroll crescent roll sheet and line the pie pan with the dough. Fill the entire pan and ensure it overlaps the sides a bit. While triangle crescent roll dough can be used, it takes a bit more prep. But, if you like puzzles, knock yourself out.
- To ensure that the dough is cooked properly, place the pie pan and dough in the oven for about 8 minutes.
- Brown and drain 1 lb. of ground beef. I generally just set the cooked beef on half a dozen paper towels to soak up the grease before placing it back in the skillet.
- Mix in the taco seasoning and water according to the instructions on the package.
- Once the taco meat and crescent roll pan are done, spoon the meat into the pie pan.
- Spread the sour cream on top of the taco meat.
- Next, layer shredded cheese across the sour cream.
- Top with crunched tortilla chips
- Place your pie into the oven and bake for another 12 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted and the dough is beginning to turn golden.
- Remove the taco pie, cut, and add any other taco toppings you prefer.
Now, bask in the glory that you are now a chef. Next time, make two because it tastes nearly as good as left overs. Just add some fresh tortilla chips after you warm it up to gain back that crunchy texture. Enjoy!